St. Mary’s Church is located at the intersection of Hickory Kingdom and East Middle Patent Roads in Bedford, New York. In the mid-19th century, Rev. Alfred H. Partridge, rector of St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church (located on Route 22 just north of Bedford Village), began making 45-minute wagon rides to hold services in the East Middle Patent one-room schoolhouse for the local farmers and tradesmen.
The one-room schoolhouse, which was originally constructed just south of the intersection of
East Middle Patent and Mianus River Roads, was relocated in 1984 to Smith’s Tavern Educational Complex
historic site in Armonk, New York.
As services in the one-room schoolhouse grew crowded, Rev. Partridge voiced the desire to build a church. With an initial contribution from guest minister Rev. Washington Rodman, the building of St. Mary's began in earnest. Construction cost $1,623 and was completed in 1853. Episcopal Bishop Jonathan Wainwright consecrated the new church. In 1909, a Mason & Hamlin parlor organ was donated by the church warden, Thatcher T. P. Luquer.